Every family has its own back to school activities set, many become annual rituals and traditions, I share here some of ours
1) Clothes Shopping: A sure measure of how every child changes with time. What they love this year they wont the next, when finding a pink dress for your little girl is the most important until it is a purple dress that matters. Finding an animal friend they can take to school, like a kitty or an owl is fun for a while too. Then there are those unexplained fashion moments... like when my daughter insisted in going to school with her life jacket. I always wondered how to interpret that.
2) Choosing a backpack. Can also be mom vs Hollywood. Looking for sturdy, sensible or well made? likely the action figure of the moment or the heroine, (not many in that category), plenty of princesses will tend to win. What fits or doesn’t fit not always to the point the child makes.
3) Visiting the school: A big deal when its the first time going to that school. Reminds me of my youngest daughter, on our way I was mentioning to her the great things she would be doing in school until she replied..."don't forget I need time to do nothing!..."
4) Lunch and snacks: A tricky territory, my children insist the first time they wished they had a different mother was when their lunches were different from the other kids. Keeping it healthy along with a treat takes some dedication.
5) First day of School Picture: My favorite ritual. We did it simply, on our way with our new dress and backpack. Fun memories come from those images as they grow older. We have lived for many years in the same house, so it was always out the same door. Some people get super creative about it.
What I didn't mention is how I felt as I saw every one of my children walk away from me for the first time as they went to school. This image says it perfectly...
Does your family do something special? Or have any back to school activities that you remember? Do you remember how you felt the first time you dropped your child at school?