For many women, having been a flower girl is one of their early special memories! Here are a few tips to make it a great memory for the special little girl in your wedding ceremony:
1) Take a few minutes to be with the flower girl while you’re dressed as the Bride in your full gown and makeup. Ask if you can help her prepare the petal basket. Brides look like a beautiful princess to a little girl and it's a magical moment for them and you. It will make her feel like she is a part of something important and you'll get great pictures for your photo album.
2) Have a Plan. Ask your flower girl's mommy to please come early before people arrive. The flower girl should practice walking down the aisle and be given very clear simple instructions like, “walk right along this crack”. Give her a lot of positive reinforcement. If you give her a destination, she'll have something to focus on, especially if the eyes of all your wedding guests make her nervous. Some brides have the flower girl put her basket on a pedestal just to the side of the ceremony or seat her parents in the front row just to the side of the family and seat them there for the rehearsal too. If you are going to have music as she walk down the isle, try to have it play at least once in the practice so as much of the experience can feel familiar when the wedding begins.
3) Be Flexible. While many people will say to you "It's your Day," in a child's mind every day is their day! If they don't want to wear their hair the way you dreamed, or keep taking off the perfect shoes you picked, try to let it go. In the end, she'll be beautiful no matter what and you can crop bare feet out of pictures, but you can't take a scowl off her face.
4) Two by Two. If you have multiple flower girls, pair them with a girl a few years older to walk together. The older girls can help guide younger girls. Have them hold hands at the beginning in case they get jitters and have them play games or share toys ahead of time so they feel comfortable together.
5) Reward Her. If you provide something fun to distract her, like coloring books and crayons wrapped up like a gift, it'll help keep her amused throughout the reception and give her parents a chance to eat dinner. For this wedding it was a yoyo and some fun plastic hair clips.
6) Let kids be kids. Once her official duties are over, dance with her, let her run around, give her a piece of cake if she is still awake! If it's all too much, the bridal suite is usually empty during the ceremony and reception, so it works great as backup plan with PJs and a blanket for a sleepy little girl.
Your wedding will be filled with wonderful memories with friends and family. With a little planning, your flower girl will also have wonderful memories as she imagines becoming a Bride someday!
Share your Isabel Garreton flower girl pictures and memories with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Looking for the perfect flower girl dress?